Search

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Brown Rice Pizza

If you hadn't noticed, I sort of have a love for Italian food. But, I like to tweak it and make it my own (also because I have some picky/difficult eaters in my family). So I created a SUPER simple recipe for a pizza that's delicious, healthy, and safe for my picky eaters.
Instead of using a dough for the pizza crust, you're going to use store bought brown rice (it's MUCH healthier, full of fiber and very simple to make). Trader Joe's sells a box of three frozen brown rice packs for under $5, so I suggest you use this one.

This is what you'll need to make you're yummy pizza crust:
1 packet of microwave brown rice
1 extra large egg
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp. herbs de provence
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

1. Preheat your oven to 425*
2. Cut a few slits in the top of the brown rice bag and microwave on high for 3 minutes, then set aside to cool.
3. Scramble the egg in a large mixing bowl and slowly add in the cooled brown rice (if you don't let it cool, you'll end up with scrambled eggs).
4. Add the parmesan, salt, pepper, and herbs de provence and mix together.
5. Grease a small, round (or square) pie pan with canola oil spray (again, I suggest the one from Trader Joe's) and evenly spread the rice mixture all around the pan.

6. Bake for about 10-12 minutes until it's golden around the edges.

7. Remove from oven, and simply add your favorite pizza toppings all over. (I added pancetta, goat cheese crumbles, a tiny bit of parmesan and mozzarella cheese!)

8. Bake again for 10 minutes and let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.

enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment