We all have those hankerings for pasta but not so much the hankering for when it makes our pants feel a little bit tighter. So, a healthy and DELICIOUS alternative is Spaghetti Squash! I know it sounds scary but I promise, it's just as delicious as pasta, yet 10 times healthier! Once you cut it open, it looks very similar to a pumpkin on the inside.
What you'll need:
1 tbs. kosher salt
1 tbs. pepper
2 tbs. olive oil
1/4 cup water
Aluminum foil1 VERY sharp knife
1 glass baking dish, like the one below, large enough to fit the squash once it's cut (if you don't have a baking dish, a cookie sheet will work)
|Glass Baking Dish|
1. Preheat your oven to 425*
2. Cut the squash lengthwise from top to bottom (BE CAREFUL!!! If you're not skilled with a knife, you might need someone to help you. Many of my finger have been cut trying to do this, especially with the bigger squashes)
3. Scoop out the seeds and throw them away (or save them and toast them later)
4. Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper on the CUT side of the squash.
5. Place the squash CUT SIDE DOWN in the baking dish (or cookie sheet) and add the water.
6. Cover the dish with the foil, put it in the oven, and cook for 45 minutes.
7. After 45 minutes, SLOWLY remove the baking dish from the oven, remove the foil and VERY SLOWLY flip over the squash (use tongs or a spoon to do this).
8. Put the squash back in the oven UNCOVERED, CUT SIDE UP for another 15 minutes.
9. After 15 minutes, remove the squash from the oven, let cool for about 5 minutes, then use a regular sized fork to scrape out the inside.
10. Serve as you would regular spaghetti and top with parmesan cheese and your favorite marinara sauce or Bolognese!