So when I get left home alone on the weekend, I often feel useless and start diving into one of our many cookbooks to fine new things to make and test out. This weekend, mom and El went to the vineyards leaving me the whole day to test out just about any recipes I wanted. I stumbled upon this recipe for homemade crackers and ran right to the kitchen. I've attempted making them before but with whole wheat flour. Ok, do NOT do this! It is absolutely DISGUSTING!!! Just use regular unbleached flour. You can switch up the herbs if you'd like, but to me rosemary is so comforting and simple and it compliments the parmesan perfectly. They're great to eat by themselves or if you're feeling naughty with some brie or english cheddar cheese. Kids will love them (you can even sub some cheddar cheese for parm if they're super picky) and they'll have fun making their own snacks. They really are simple and will be sure to impress your guests (or anyone who thinks they're a better cook than you are) and will make them jealous because you won't share; they're just too good!!! Ok, ok, go ahead and share. But you won't want to :) I also thought it would be really cute to store the crackers in mason jars. They are a bit delicate so when you put them in a plastic baggie they tend to break. OH! and this recipe will make about 50 crackers if you cut them 1/4 inch thick (any thinner and they'll burn and any thicker and they're just too darn big).
What you'll need:
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tbs. minced rosemary
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix the butter for about 1 minute, until it's really soft.
2. With the mixer on SLOW, add the parmesan, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
3. Slowly add the flour. If the mix is dry, add 1 tbs. water.
4. On a flowered surface, roll out the dough to a 9 inch log (this will make the crackers the perfect diameter). Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for AT LEAST 1 hour (I let it sit overnight... that's partially because I forgot about it) so the butter hardens.
5. When ready, preheat the oven to 350*. Slice into 1/4 inch slices (NO thicker), and bake for about 23-25 minutes (just watch so they don't burn).