Search

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Brown Sugar Brussel Sprouts

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't always been the best vegetable eater. Back in the day, I absolutely HATED broccoli, despised tomatoes, and thought brussel sprouts were the devil. I thought they smelled like BO and were just disgusting. But now, years later, I've tried them and learned to like them. Well, after having them at this fabulous restaurant a few weeks ago I fell in LOVE with them! I tried to recreate them and I have to be honest, I was furious that I had to share the leftovers with my mom for lunch the next day. They're sweet, crunchy, and have whole cloves of garlic. Really, I didn't want to stop eating them, so much that I forgot to take a picture of them and realized I needed to only with a few left (sorry!!!). I used apple cider vinegar and the tiniest bit of brown sugar and they are HEAVEN!!!!! I wanted to make them again the next night but I was vetoed. Try them and I promise you'll LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!!! Also, you may omit the garlic if you don't want to have stinky breath (clearly I don't care).

What you'll need:
1 lb brussel sprouts (cut in half)
15-20 whole garlic cloves (optional)
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
1 tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 375*. Cut the brussel sprouts in half and toss them in a large bowl with the garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
2. Toss again with the apple cider vinegar and brown sugar. Lay on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes (they'll look done at about 20 minutes but because of the brown sugar, they'll begin to caramelize if you leave them in a little bit longer).
3. Serve immediately with mashed potatoes and chicken and chow down!

enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment