Search

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Seared Ahi Salad

While in Tucson this past weekend, I revisited one of my favorite restaurants, RA (sushi!). I've been trying to be a good girl and not eat too many carbs (except for the Las Vegas Roll there which is basically just a party in your mouth) so I ordered this incredible seared ahi salad. I've been craving it ever since and have been dying to make it. After hunting down what felt like the last pieces of ahi in LA, I made it for El and I tonight. Pretty much all I can say is "go me!!!" If I could eat this salad every single day and not have to worry about mercury poisoning or OD'ing on fried wontons, I'd do it!!! I created my own dressing with minced shallots, ponzu, and a light sesame dressing (P.S. I have extra sitting over night for my salad for lunch tomorrow hehehe) and added chopped roasted peanuts on top to give it that extra crunch. I wish I had a picture of the "after" to prove to you how great this was!!!
And have I mentioned how AMAZING the fish is at Costco?! Seriously, it's delicious, fresh, and CHEAP (well cheaper than going out for this same salad every night!)!
P.S. This is a VERY fast paced meal so make sure everything is ready to go right away!!!

What you'll need (this will make A LOT so you can have it for lunch the next day!!!):
2 tuna steaks
they look like this
Salt & pepper (eh, about 1/8 tsp. each)
Olive oil (just enough to coat the bottom of the pan)
Mixed baby greens
Fried wonton chips (just buy them at Gelson's or Trader Joe's or whatever specialty market you have near you!)
1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts (or cashews)
1/4 cup light sesame dressing
this one is PERFECT!!!
1/8 cup ponzu sauce
1 shallot, minced
2 avocados, sliced

1. Turn the burner on high and start heating your pan (you want it HOT HOT HOT!!!).
2.  Mince the shallot and, in a bowl, mix together the ponzu and sesame dressing (I found a great one at Gelson's). Add the shallot and let sit for a few minutes.
 
4. In a large salad bowl, add your lettuce and wonton chips.
5. Chop your peanuts so they're cut into thirds and add them to the lettuce and wontons.
6. Season both sides of the tuna steaks with salt and pepper. After you've let your pan heat on high for AT LEAST 5 minutes, put oil in the pan and let the tuna sear on both sides for about 1 minute (until it gets a nice crust on top but still raw in the middle).
7. Meanwhile, as the tuna is cooking, toss the salad. Slice the avocados at this time, too.
8. Remove from the heat and slice immediately (don't let it sit and cook any longer or it'll dry out!).
9. Place the lettuce on your plate and alternate between one slice of avocado and one slice of tuna. Top with a tiny drizzle of ponzu and chopped peanuts and you're good to go!!!

enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment