If you read my previous post, you would know that my sister and her boyfriend came to town for the weekend. I had to fix them a delicious dinner (which was quite successful) but I felt the pressure when it came to dessert. After such a successful honey glazed chicken, I had to kick some butt with the dessert. I wanted it to be simple yet refreshing because it’s been so hot lately. An old-fashioned peach and strawberry crisp was absolutely perfect. It’s quite easy and full of incredible flavors. I've made an apple crisp before that's almost as good as this one, but that one is better for winter desserts. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top will ensure everyone has a happy tummy. Oh, and it was great for breakfast the next morning.
What you’ll need (for the fruit mixture):
1 ½ cup strawberries, cut into cubes
Zest of 1 orange
Juice from half the orange
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tbs. ground cinnamon
What you’ll need (for the topping):
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick COLD unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1. Preheat your oven to 350*. Cut the peaches in half, then into thirds, pit them, and add them to a large bowl. Add the strawberries.
2. To the bowl, add the orange zest, orange juice, sugar, and cinnamon.
3. Mix together and let sit while you make the topping.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, add together the oatmeal, sugar, brown sugar, salt, flour and cold butter. USUALLY, you'd mix it just a little bit so the butter is the size of peas. HOWEVER... I want you to let it go for about a minute so it's in a big ball (TRUST ME!!!).
5. Butter a large ceramic baking dish, add the fruit mixture, and top with the above mixture. Break it into pieces, covering the whole dish. Bake for about 1 hour (until the top is golden and crunchy). Let cool before serving.