Search

Friday, October 19, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto

Last Christmas, my mom got a whole bunch of gifts from William's Sonoma, some of which she decided to return. Of course, by October of this year, she still hadn't bought anything with her store credit. So last week I went in to use it and get a new crock pot. I was pleasantly distracted with their cooking classes that was occurring. They were making butternut squash risotto. I was DROOLING!!! it smelled incredible!!! I knew I had to go home and recreate it. Risotto is a pretty intimidating dish but, fear not, it is really not that difficult, just time consuming. So home I went to make dinner. To make it my own, I added a little parmesan cheese, caramelized onions, and truffle oil (I couldn't help myself!). Needless to say, this would make a WONDERFUL side dish, or even main course, at your next holiday party. The butternut squash has such a comforting taste and smell. This was a definite hit! Oh, and it's vegan!

What you'll need: 
1 box Arborio rice (risotto rice)
8 cups low sodium veggie broth (or whatever the directions are on the box of rice)
4 tbs. vegan butter
2 large onions thinly sliced
1 butternut squash, cut in half

1. Preheat the oven to 475*. Cut the squash in half, lengthwise, scoop out the insides, and season with salt and pepper (some people do brown sugar but I didn't want to overpower the risotto). 
2. In the holes of each side of the squash where the seeds were, drop in 2 tbs. butter. Roast for about 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
3. Cook your risotto according to the directions on the box. This is the time to caramelize your onions, too. Remember, it will take anywhere from 35-40 minutes to PROPERLY caramelize them.
 
4. When finished cooking cooking, remove the insides of the squash and puree in a blender until smooth. Add to the risotto along with the caramelized onions.
5. Continue to cook until the risotto is fully cooked. DO NOT OVERCOOK!!! It will dry out!!!
6. Drizzle with the truffle oil, combine thoroughly, and serve IMMEDIATELY!!!

enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment