If you read my last post, you know that in our house we believe everything is better if fried. That includes our vegetables. This week was Hanukkah, which meant potato latkes for days. However, by the time the 5th night had rolled around, I was sick of fried potatoes (shhhhh, don't tell anyone I said that!!!). We had the last of our summer zucchini that was on its way out. Of course the best thing I could think of to do is to turn them into latkes! I know, I know. I said I was sick of fried potatoes. But, there were only 3 potatoes in this mix and the rest is zucchini and onion! It was delicious, had a different taste than a potato latke, but was still crunchy and yummy! They are great all year round (or at least when you can find some good quality zucchini.) and... they're vegan!!! Leave the skin on the potatoes and zucchini for extra vitamins and nutrition. Enjoy this yummy veggie side dish that will please your pickiest eaters!
What you'll need:
1 LARGE zucchini or enough to equal 4 cups of shredded zucchini (when I say LARGE I mean HUUUUUGE!!!)
1 large onion
3-5 small gold potatoes
3 tbs. Kosher salt
2 tsp. pepper
1/4-1/2 cup flour
1. Heat the oil in a deep sauté pan (make sure the oil comes up the side of the pan about 1 inch). While the oil is heating, grate the onions in a food processor until its completely pureed (you can also use a blender). Unlike with the potato latkes, do NOT drain the liquid!!! Just transfer to a bowl.
2. In the same food processor, switch out the blade to the shredding plate (if you don't have, use a box grater) and shred the potatoes. Drain the liquid and add the potatoes into the bowl with the onions.
3. Shred the zucchini and add it to the bowl.
4. Now it's time to get dirty! Use your hands to mix everything together. Add the salt and flour and mix again.
5. Make the latkes the size of a quarter and pack them down so they're pretty thin. Fry NO MORE than 4 or 5 latkes at a time (if you overcrowd the pan, the temperature of the oil will go down and everything will turn into mush). Fry for about 3 minutes per side.
6. Lay the latkes on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels to let the oil drain off.
7. Serve with your favorite condiments (apple sauce and sour cream!!!).