Search

Monday, December 2, 2013

Gruyere and Prosciutto in Puff Pastry


Call me crazy but I'm already planning my New Year's Eve plans. I know, I know, we JUST had Thanksgiving but you know how I am. I was thinking about what I wanted to serve for appetizers (I'm not huge into going out; I'd rather open a great bottle of wine and feast until I can't move) so I began sifting through my cookbooks. I came across this little doozy from my lovely Barefoot Contessa. Her recipe called for ham rather than prosciutto and dijon mustard but Daniel LOVES prosciutto and hates mustard (I know, he's odd). This is a no-stress, simple appetizer that you can throw together in just minutes but will taste, and smell, like you've been slaving over it for hours! Oh, and did I mention the melty, gooey cheese?!

What you'll need:
2 sheets puff pastry, defrosted in the fridge overnight
5 slices prosciutto
8 oz. shredded gruyere
2 tbs. garlic aioli 
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbs. water (for egg wash)


1. Preheat the oven to 425* and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Lay 1 sheet of puff pastry on a floured surface and carefully roll it out to 10x10” square (just eyeball it if you don’t have a ruler handy). Transfer it to the baking shet and spread the aioli over it, leaving a ½ inch border. Begin layering the prosciutto down and top with mass amounts of gruyere.
3. Place the second sheet of puff pastry on the floured surface and roll it out to 10x10” square. Place it on top of the other pastry sheet, push down the sides and brush the top with the egg wash.
4. Cut 4 diagonal slits across the middle (this will allow steam to come out, or else it’ll explode).
5. Bake for 20 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Let cool and serve.

enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment