What you'll need:
LEAN ground turkey
3 garlic cloves
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbs. olive oil
1 large can canned tomatoes (NOT seasoned... you'll add PLENTY of seasoning)
2 tbs. cumin
2 tbs. chili powder
1 tbs kosher salt
1 tbs. pepper
1 tbs. garlic powder
1 can black beans, drained
2 tbs. tomato paste (you don't NEED this)
1 jar marinara sauce (if you like it extra tasty, but also, NOT needed)
1. Chop the onions and sauté in olive oil over medium heat until they get that golden brown edge (NOT burnt)
2. Add the chopped garlic and sauté for just a minute (YOU DON'T WANT BURNT GARLIC!!! NO NO NO! WORST THING EVER!)
3. Add the turkey and begin to brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon (a wooden spoon doesn't transfer heat the way a metal spoon would, you get a better handle on the meat, and it won't scratch your pan).
4. Add the onions and turkey to the crock pot (because we're using LEAN turkey, there won't be any fat to drain)
5. Add the canned tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, black beans, tomato paste (if you want), and marinara sauce (again, only if you want).
6. Turn crock pot and cook on LOW for about 6 hours.
7. Turn it OFF for about 30 minutes before you want to serve so it thickens.
8. Garnish with your favorite toppings (I like sour cream, shredded cheddar, and chopped red onions)
***IF YOU DON'T HAVE A SLOW COOKER, THAT'S OK!!! JUST COOK ON THE STOVE IN A VERY LARGE PAN (Le Cruset is perfect) AND LET IT SIMMER ON LOW FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES-AN HOUR BEFORE SERVING, TO LET ALL OF THE FLAVORS COME TOGETHER***