Search

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Lemon Bundt Cake

Happy Holidays, my lovely followers!!! I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to post a new recipe; you all know how draining the holidays are! BUT!!! I do have some AMAZING recipes coming your way :) (I got FOUR cook books, a Cuisenart ELITE Food Processor, Hand Mixer, Hand Blender, and a mushroom brush for Hanukkah, so I hope you're all ready!!!) First, I'll start with an incredibly easy and delicious dessert: LEMON CAKE!!! I'm not a huge fan of lemon cake, but the rest of my family is (I wanted a chocolate cake, but I was vetoed). I've had it in the past with a heavy icing and I think its too much (oh don't get me wrong, I LOVEEE icing!!!) So with a light drizzle, this makes the perfect dessert after any meal. P.S. this recipe is for one large cake in a bundt pan, but you can certainly divide it in half and make one small cake in a loaf pan.

What you'll need:
½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature (Its much easier to mix)
2 cups granulated sugar, divided
4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature (again, it is easier to deal with and it won't shock the rest of the ingredients)
The zest of about 6 lemons3 cups flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
¾ cup non-dairy creamer, at room temperature
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Lots of bowl for mixing 

For the icing:
2 cups confectioners' sugar (fancy word for powdered sugar), sifted (to get all of the lumps out)
3 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)

1. Preheat oven to 350*
2. In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes (until it gets light and fluffy).

3. Slowly add in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the lemon zest.
 
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour.
 
5. In a THIRD bowl, combine the non-dairy creamer, 1/4 cup of the lemon juice, and the vanilla.
6. Slowly add the flour and creamer mixture into the bowl of the electric mixer, alternating (if you do all of the flour at once, be prepared to wear it!).
7. Pour batter into your buttered pan, stick it in the oven and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (until the cake tester comes out clean).
8. For the icing, combine the confectioners' sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a fork until smooth (you might need to taste it to make sure it's sweet enough).
10. LET CAKE COOL BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT FROM THE PAN!!!!!!! Once cooled, place on cake plate.
9. Pour over the tops of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides (REMEMBER TO LINE YOUR CAKE PLATE WITH PARCHMENT PAPER OR ELSE YOU'LL MAKE A MESS OF THE GLAZE, LIKE I DID :()
 
enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment