Wednesday, December 14, 2011
In a continuation with my infatuation with Italian Cooking, my next creation is the "No Carb Lasagna." Don't get me wrong, I LOVEEE good, old fashioned lasagna. BUT, with the diabetic boyfriend, I have to try and tweak our meals to make them as low-carb as possible. I have made this meal before, but it turned into a liquidy mess because I didn't cut the zucchini's into small enough pieces. Actually, I cut them into strips, rather than circles, and it didn't cut very well and didn't taste right. So I tried using zucchini circles in this particular recipe. And, I can tell you that there were NO leftovers (that's pretty good, right?) It's easy (as are almost all of my recipes) and after a day of running after 3 boys, I need all the ease I can come by! Try this with any variation of lasagna ingredients you like, you WON'T be disappointed!
What you'll need:
1 Pyrex dish
2 tbs. olive oil
3 medium size zucchinis
1 jar pasta sauce (any flavor you like)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 lb. organic ground beef (or turkey)
1 lb. sliced mushrooms (Trader Joe's has pre-sliced. Saves you so much time!)
2 tbs. White Truffle Oil (optional)
Your choice of shredded cheeses (I used mozzarella, and a 4 cheese blend from Trader's called Quattro Formaggio)
1 cup parmesan (don't worry, you probably won't use it all, but it's better to have more than not enough!)
1. Preheat your oven to 375*.
2. Layer about 1/2 cup pasta sauce on the bottom of the Pyrex dish (this will ensure that the zucchini won't stick to the bottom when you bake it).
3. Heat a large skillet with the olive oil and add the chopped onions. Cook until browned around the edges, but NOT BURNT! Add the mushrooms and cook, UNTOUCHED, for 3 minutes per side. Add the garlic and cook for just 1 minute before adding the meat.
4. Add the meat and use a wooden spoon to break it up into bits (remember, a wooden spoon doesn't transfer the heat the way a metal spoon will and it won't scratch your pans).
5. Once the meat is browned all the way through, add the jar of pasts sauce and let it cook together for a few minutes on low. Here, you can add the truffle oil if you wish to use it (it is DELICIOUS!!!)
6. Rinse and slice the zucchini into 1/4 inch thick circles.
7. Layer the zucchini slices evenly on the bottom of the Pyrex dish.
8. Add a layer of the meat mixture.
9. Add a layer of your preferred shredded cheeses.
10. Repeat: zucchini, meat, cheese, until you run out, but making sure you end on cheese.
11. Top it off with a little sprinkle of parmesan and cook, UNCOVERED for 30-40 minutes (or until golden brown and bubbling on top)
12. Remove and let it cool before serving.
***IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU LET IT COOL FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES. It will turn into a pile of MUSH if you try to cut and serve right away.***