Search

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Mashed Cauliflower


Over the past few months, I have been trying to cook healthier alternatives to my most favorite foods. While there is no substitute for some, I have found a great sub for mashed potatoes. I've shared with your my famous mashed potato recipe before, and, if you've tried it, you know how incredible it is. But, we can't always eat that much starch (boo hoo!!!) So I have have come up with a great recipe for...wait for it... MASHED CAULIFLOWER!!! I HATE cauliflower. I have NEVER liked it. Only in the past 6 months have I started liking broccoli. But mashed cauliflower tasted EXACTLY the same as mashed potatoes. Really you can add anything you want into it, but I find that less is more and the simpler the better. And, unlike mashed potatoes, theres NO SALT (Sorry, Jane). I promise you WON'T be disappointed and you'll want to eat this every night (like I have all week!)

What you'll need:
1 head (is that the right word?) of cauliflower
1 tbs. low fat sour cream (you can try non-fat Greek yogurt instead)
1 tbs. Earth Balance (the vegan version, but you can use Smart Balance if you want)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (the powdery kind)

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
2. Cut the cauliflower into pieces, leaving the stems intact (it doesn't matter how big or small, they're all going to get mashed, anyways).

3. Once the water comes to a boil, add the cauliflower and cook for about 8-10 minutes (I know it seems long, but you want it to be a good consistency for mashing).

4. Use a fork to test them, and if it feels like the fork starts to break the cauliflower apart, then it's ready to be drained!
5. Turn off the heat, drain and return to pot. Start mashing! (depending on what level of lumpiness you prefer, that's how much you'll mash)

6. Once mashed, add the parmesan, butter, and sour cream.

7. Mix thoroughly, and you're ready to eat!!!

 enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment