Monday, March 19, 2012
Shiitake Mushroom and Arugula Pizza
P.S. For those of you who have not had vegan cheese before, I suggest you try daiya on your next pizza. It melts so perfectly but stays ooozzzyyyy and gooey and it's just divine!
What you'll need:
1 whole wheat pizza dough (***put the dough in a large glass bowl with some olive oil and cover it with a damp towel for about an hour to let the dough rise***)
1 lb. shiitake mushrooms and crimini mushrooms sliced (1 lb. total!)
1 cup pizza sauce
2 cups arugula
Vegan pepperoni (or regular pepperoni for you carnivores)
1 bag mozzarella style daiya (or regular mozzarella)
Olive oil & lemon juice
Flour (for rolling out the dough)
1. Preheat your oven to whatever the package of dough says to do (if you're using a stone, follow the directions on the box).
2. Flour a large wooden cutting board and roll out your pizza dough as big as you can (if you're using a stone, now is the time to transfer the dough to the hot stone).
3. Spoon the sauce all over the dough, add some garlic powder, and sprinkle the cheese (leave about 1/2 inch around for the crust).
4. Layer the pepperoni on top of the cheese followed by the sliced mushrooms.
5. Cook the pizza in the oven until the crust gets nice and crunchy and brown (remember, follow the directions on your package of dough!)
6. While the pizza is cooking, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice and toss with the arugula.