Search

Friday, March 23, 2012

Tequila Shrimp Tacos

I have to admit, I have never been a really huge fan of shrimp. In fact, I’ve only really eaten it a handful of times before (I don’t count sushi, it’s fried or covered in sauce so that’s totally different). So I knew that going into this meal I really needed to “wow” myself. Well, friends, I can safely say that I did just that! And, according to the empty plates and bowl around me, I think El and Daniel enjoyed it, too J. I stumbled upon this recipe through Pinterest (originally from "Cook Yourself Thin," but I had to make it my own, of course!) about a month ago but never found time to make it. But, I gave El a grocery list and finally had no excuse not to make it. The best part about it is that it’s super low calorie, very tasty, and… flambéed with tequila (If you’re making it for people who don’t drink, you can surely omit the tequila and just add more seasonings)!!! Shrimp cooks rather quickly so this is a very easy meal for anyone to make, especially those of us with limited time! No need for fresh shrimp, the frozen (raw!!!) from the market is just fine! Paired with a DELICIOUS pineapple-mango salsa and some spicy beans, this is a PERFECT (and, of course, easy!!!) weekday meal! P.S. Yes, there is also a vegan version below (you didn't think I'd leave mommy out of this meal, did you!?)
What you'll need:
4 chopped garlic cloves
1/4 cup GOOD tequila (you can leave out, just add more spices and some water for texture)
4 tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. chipotle powder (if you don't have, then you can use anything else that's spicy like chili powder)
Salt & pepper (to taste)
1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
1/2 cup shredded purple lettuce
1. Heat olive oil is a large skillet over medium heat and sauté garlic for about 1 minute (do NOT let it burn!!!)
2. Add all of the seasonings and let the flavors come together.
3. Add the shrimp and toss everything together, making sure each shrimp is getting seasoned well.
4. IF YOU'RE NOT BOBBY FLAY, SEEK ASSISTANCE HERE!!! PLEASE!!! CAREFULLY add the tequila to the pan and use a LONG match or stick lighter and flambé the tequila!
 

5. REMOVE FROM HEAT IMMEDIATELY!!!!! BLOW OUT THE FIRE OR ELSE YOU'LL LOSE YOUR EYEBROWS!!!
 
5. Add some salt and pepper and serve right away!!!
6. Serve with low carb or whole wheat tortillas, pineapple-mango salsa, shredded lettuces, and you're good to go!
enjoy :)
1A. For the vegan version, do everything EXACTLY the same, just substitute the shrimp for vegan chicken or a vegan shrimp!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment