Search

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Turkey Sloppy Joes Sliders


A few weeks ago I moved in with a friend from high school and we have been having a blast. I've been cooking almost every night but I was running out of ideas. I just cleaned out my storage unit and found a TON of cookbooks! So I ran to them, spent about 2 hours reading them, and found a recipe for sloppy joes. I honestly can't remember the last time I had a sloppy joe but I just remember how messy they are. They're also pretty heavy and fattening but I knew I could fiddle with the recipe to make it healthier. I found a great started recipe from Skinny Taste and went from there. Ok... they were absolutely delicious! My roommates boyfriend had some later that night and he said that they are "nothing short of breathtaking." Instead of beef I used turkey, a ton of veggies, and a few slices of fresh avocado on top. To make them even cuter, I put them on mini buns to make sliders and they were just wonderful. There are great for adults and kids (don't tell them there are veggies, they'll never know!!!) and so much fun to eat! I served these with homemade sweet potato fries

What you'll need:
1 lb. ground turkey
1 tsp. seasoning salt
1 carrot, minced
1 onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 red bell pepper, minced
1 cup crimini mushrooms, minced
3 tbs. Worcestershire sauce (you don't have to do that much, I just happen to love it)
1 tbs. red wine vinegar
1 29 oz. can tomato sauce (no salt added, if possible)
2 tbs. tomato paste
1 package mini buns
2 avocados, sliced

1. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat and cook the turkey (use a wooden spoon because it doesn't transfer the heat the way a metal spoon would), breaking it up as you go.
2. Half way through, add the seasoned salt. Once fully cooked, add the carrots, onions, garlic, peppers, and mushrooms. Sauté for about 5 minutes, then add the Worcestershire and red wine vinegar, then cook for another 5 minutes. 
3. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste, stir to combine thoroughly, and cover. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 10 minutes to thicken. While it's cooking, toast the buns in the oven under the broiler for about 3 minutes (DON'T BURN THEM!!!!! KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE LITTLE FELLOWS!)
4. Scoop 3 tbs. of the meat onto the bottom of each bun, slice the avocados and lay on top. Serve with sweet potato fries and chow down!!!

enjoy :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment