Search

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Baked Potato Chips


Hold the phone. Today, I made... HOMEMADE POTATO CHIPS!!! Yes, my friends, you read correctly. No need to adjust your glasses or screen. My mom inherited her mom's deli slicer a few years ago and for whatever reason, I decided to whip it out tonight for our Father's Day Feast and slice up some potatoes (oh, and by feast I mean lobster rolls, grilled shrimp skewers, mango salsa, endive and avocado salads, and, of course, Sprinkles Cupcakes!). I am addicted to potato chips so when I realized I could make hundreds of my own for about $1, I couldn't slice fast enough. You can make them without a mandolin or deli slicer but it is SO time consuming and I know I'd mess them up. Sur La Table, aka foodie and cook Mecca, has some that range anywhere from $20-90. Homemade potato chips are a tasty and popular side dish that will be a HUGE hit at your next Summer BBQ. Sure you can just go an buy a bag but really, that's pretty boring.

What you'll need:
3 russet potatoes, rinsed
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. garlic salt (I like Lawry's the best)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

1. Preheat your oven to 450*. Slice your potatoes 1/8" thick on a mandolin or deli slicer.
2. Toss the potatoes with the olive oil and distribute evenly on a cookie sheet, lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes (be sure to check on them for the last 10 minutes, some of mine burned).
4. Once they're golden brown and HOT OUT OF THE OVEN, take them out of the oven and sprinkle evenly with the salt, garlic salt, and pepper (if you try and do this once they've cooled, the salt and pepper will fall right off!)
5. Let cool for about 10 minutes then serve with your favorite dip!

enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment