This past week, my sister went back to school. We usually go out as a family for a going away dinner whenever one of us went back to school. But Monday night, we had a sister sleep over filled with great food, mindless TV (Real Housewives!!!) and froyo :) Being the nice sister that I am, I decided to make her a classic steak house filet mignon. I've made it before by following a Barefoot Contessa recipe but hers is WAY too salty. This lightly salted and baked with butter steak is the PERFECT treat for anyone. And, of course, it is INCREDIBLY SIMPLE!!!!!! If you like steak, you'll LOVE this!!!*P.S. We're all on budgets these days, so buy your steaks at Costco. They come 4 in a pack and they're CHEAP but GREAT quality (and HUGE)!!!*
What you'll need (for 2 people):
2 10oz filet mignons
4 tbs. unsalted butter at room temperature
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. fleur de sel found here (it is a very delicate French Sea Salt. Gelson's has it. You MUST use this)
2 tbs. vegetable oil
1 cast iron skillet (your local hardware store will have one. Again, you MUST use this)
1. Preheat your oven to 400*. While your oven is heating up, heat your cast iron skillet on HIGH head for about 8 minutes, getting it VERY HOT!!!
2. Pat your steaks dry and brush with oil.
3. Sprinkle the fleur de sel and pepper all over.
4. Sear your steaks for about 2 minutes on each side, creating a nice golden crust all over (remember, this will lock in all of the juices.), for a total of about 10 minutes
5. Cut the butter into thick slices (1-2 tbs. per steak) and place on top of each steak.
6. Immediately place skillet into the oven and bake for abut 5-8 minutes for medium rare, and 10 minutes for well done.
7. Remove and place a piece of foil over the skillet and let rest for a few minutes to let the juices redistribute.
8. Add steaks to a platter, and pour juices over the top (this sauce is INCREDIBLE. Butter and steak drippings mmmmm :)).