Search

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Heirloom Tomato & Goat Cheese Flatbread


By this point, I'm sure I've told you all before that I am NOT a fan of tomatoes. However, recently they have been growing one me. During one of my lunch breaks this week, I wasted perfectly good napping time by going on Pinterest (OBSESSED!!!) and stumbled upon a FANTASTICALLY delicious looking flatbread recipe. To my dismay, it had tomatoes on it. But they are cooked so I figured it can't be that bad. But, they are heirloom tomatoes which are different tasting than regular tomatoes (and they're much prettier, lots of yellows and greens and reds mixed in). AND, it had goat cheese... we don't even need to talk about my love for goat cheese. The tang of the cheese blended so well with the softness and sweetness of the heirloom tomatoes. But because I love my vegan mommy so much, I made half of the flatbread with goat cheese and the other half with vegan mozzarella. Both sides were very delicious! This heirloom tomato and goat cheese flatbread is a DEFINITE crowd pleaser (and if you are in the mood for a light tasting and simple pizza, you've hit the jackpot!).

What you'll need:
1 package of pizza dough
2 tbs. chiffonade basil
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
3-4 heirloom tomatoes THINLY sliced (the thinner the slices, the less juices there will be to make the bread soggy)
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. pepper

1. Preheat your oven to 375* (the universal temperature).
2. Spread your dough out as thinly you can on a greased baking sheet.
3. Slice the tomatoes as thinly as you can (I used teeny tiny ones and a serrated knife, which made life MUCH easier).

4. First, lay down the tomatoes, then crumble the goat cheese all over and add the salt and pepper.

5. Bake for about 20 minutes (or until the crust is golden brown).
6. Pull out of the oven and sprinkle the chiffonade basil all over.

7. Cut the bread into squares and serve immediately.

enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment