What you'll need:
3 lbs. baby potatoes (any color/type will do, as long as they're small)
3/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
2 tbs. dijon mustard
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 tbs. pepper
1 tbs. kosher salt (or more, to taste)
1. Rinse your potatoes. Fill a large pot with cold water. Add potatoes to the pot and boil on high. (YOU ALWAYS COOK POTATOES IN COLD WATER!!! DON'T ASK WHY, THIS IS JUST THE RULE!!!)
2. While the potatoes are cooking, mix together in a bowl the sour cream and lemon juice (This is a substitute for buttermilk. You may use buttermilk but I did not want to after the plethora of desserts I had lined up for this mean).
3. Chop the red onions into small pieces (nobody wants to bite into a big chunk of onion!). In the bowl with the sour cream and lemon, add the mayo, mustard, red onions, salt, and pepper. Whisk together.
4. Once the potatoes are just about fork tender, drain them, leave in a colander over the pot and cover with a dry kitchen towel. Let them steam for about 20 minutes.
5. Once the potatoes are cool, cut them in half (or quarters depending on the size).
6. In a large bowl, mix together the mayo mixture and the potatoes. Cover with plastic wrap, let sit in fridge overnight (you don't HAVE to do this, but the flavors only get better overnight!).
7. Serve in a WHITE bowl or platter and garnish with a tiny but of cayenne pepper.