Search

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Veggie Kebabs with Pesto Dip

I just want you all to know that this is probably my FAVORITE side dish I've EVER made!!! I swear!!!!! They're AMAZING leftover, too!!! Anyways, now that I have shared with you my oh so secret and special pesto recipe, here is one way to use it. Last night was so hot that I, again, didn't know what to make for dinner that wouldn't make me pass out because it was so heave. So I immediately called Eliot and had him take out some chicken and start marinating it in the Soy Vay that I love so much (I swear, I could bathe in this stuff). If you're lucky, your Costco might sell it in bulk!!! If not, Trader Joe's has their own version of it.

Like I said before, I'm on a no carb kick and thought that the perfect side dish to BBQ chicken besides a potato of some sort is a kebab. They're so easy that anyone can do it, and pretty difficult to mess up. I chopped up some red onions into quarters, took the stems off of some crimini mushrooms, and sliced up some zucchini to make the perfect, light veggie side dish. And, of course, I let them sit in the Soy Vay, too (I promise one you try it, you'll want it on EVERYTHING!!!!!!) Don't you worry, I didn't leave mommy out. We marinated some tempeh in the Soy Vay for her and added those to the kebabs.

What you'll need:
2 cups crimini mushrooms, stemmed
2 cups zucchini
2 large purple onions
1/2 cup Soy Vay marinade (if you don't have then use low sodium soy sauce, garlic, a little teriyaki sauce, and some grated ginger).
10-12 kebab skewers

1 tbs. pesto (seen here)
1 tbs. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tbs. nonfat greek yogurt
1 tbs. nonfat sour cream
1/2 tbs. pepper
1/2 tbs. kosher salt.

1. Cut your zucchini into 1 inch circles.

2. Cut the onions into quarters. Add them to a large bowl with the zucchini.

3. Wipe the top of each mushroom with a damp cloth (DO NOT WASH THEM!!!!!! THEY WILL GET SOGGY!!!!!) and remove the stem. Throw them in the bowl, too.

4. Pour the marinade into the bowl, toss, and let sit for about 15 minutes so the flavors come together.

5. Assemble your skewer with the onion, then zucchini, then mushroom and repeat again, ending with a purple onion.
vegan with the tempeh on left

6. Grill on medium-high heat for about 3-5 minutes per side (you don't want them to burn, just get a little char around the edges.)
***If you don't have a grill, use your broiler. SPray it with a non-stick spray and broil on each side for about 3 minutes.***


For the pesto dip:

7. Add all of the ingredients together and let sit aside for at least 20 minutes for the flavors to come together.

enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment