Search

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Tips in the Kitchen: WHITE

So I've been reading some of my old posts and feel a bit bad. I feel as though I've bombarded some of you with some techniques, tools, and appliances that i INSIST on you all buying. That was not my intention. I created this blog simply because I love food, I love to cook, and I want to share that with everyone. Some of us are not classically trained, not professional chefs, and some just can't even make toast. So I decide to create this new segment of my blog that I will feature once a week. Here, I will provide you with some simple entertaining techniques, products I love, quick culinary tips, and anything else that pops into my head while I'm laying in bed.
Seeing as how it is Memorial Day this week, the theme is WHITE. We are allowed to wear our white pants, shoes, break out the pool toys, and summer is officially starting! Over the past few years, I have become more and more interested in how my food looks, and not just how it tastes. As any caterer will tell you, simplicity is best. This is why I love to use WHITE. White bowl, platters, plates, and a very simple drinking glass (I HATE anything with ridges, prints, curves, etc...). By keeping your serving pieces simple, it allows the food to stand out and the colors pop (and maybe taste a little better? Nah, probably not, but who cares! They'll look great!)!!!
pasta looks GORGEOUS in these bowl from C&B

Make sure you buy enough pieces, usually 6 or 8, as that is what a "set" will consist of. You NEVER want to have one or two people over that have a different looking plate, that'd be tragic!!! I know what you're thinking, we're on budgets, we don't know where to go, what size? Again, the key word here is SIMPLE. Crate & Barrel has some great deals on ceramic white platters and bowl sets, and Target just introduced their "Whiteware" Collection in the home department. Start with one item. Maybe this month is bowls, next month can be platters, and then wine glasses after that. I prefer rectangular, sleek pieces rather than those with funky edges, prints, or funny shapes.
I served the "Balsamic Bruschetta" on this platter, also from C&B
Here is Crate & Barrel's selection of fabulous pieces at even more fabulous price, and here is Target's selection of "Whiteware."Start small, pick one are of serving to focus on, build on it, and from there progress (little by little so your wallet doesn't have a heart attack) until your kitchen is complete. By using White, your meals look incredibly chic as though they're from a restaurant and totally beautiful :).

No comments:

Post a Comment