Onion rings are delicious! Caramelized onions are delicious! But, I know I can't have something fried or caramelized in ever meal. I can, however, have onions in every meal. So my dearest Barefoot Contessa showed me an AMAZING twist on how to do onions. After whipping up a quick marinade and roasting in the oven for 40 minutes, you'll never want to eat onions in any other way! I promise!
What you'll need (enough for 2 people):
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbs. dijon mustard
1 tbs. chopped garlic
2 tsp. chopped, fresh thyme
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. pepper
Large bowl for mixing
1 large red onion
1 large sweet onion
1. Preheat oven to 400*.
2. Cut just the very, very, tip of the onions off (we want to leave the ends, they'll hold the onions together as they roast), and peel off the outer layer. Cut in half, length wise, and cut into wedges.
3. Add garlic, mustard, thyme, salt, and peper into a bowl, whisk together.
4. Slowly add in olive oil, mixing as you go.
5. Toss the onions in the marinade, very slowly and carefully, we want the onions to stay together!
6. Spray a baking sheet with a non-stick spray, place onions, and half of the marinade, on the sheet, and bake for 35-40 mintues. Your nose will know when they're ready.
7. Once they're done, remove from oven, and add the remainder of the marinade to the top of the onions.