It's Tuesday night, which usually means pasta night in our house. Bored at work today, I was on Pinterest looking for a yummy dinner recipe that had something to do with pasta. Now, I have stumbled upon many different recipes for penne ala vodka and have always wanted to try it. I'm not a huge fan of vodka so I was a little afraid that this would end up being somewhat of a dud, but I'm here to tell you that there are NO leftovers! I added extra tomatoes to make the sauce a little chunkier and lots of veggies and some vegan sausage so it wasn't so boring. I know that adding anything to it sorta changes it from the ala notkaness but i promise it's still delish!
What you'll need:
2 tsp. vegan butter
5 cloves minced garlic
3 minced shallots
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
14 oz. can diced tomatoes
½ cup vodka
kosher salt and pepper (about 1 tsp. each)
½ cup non-dairy creamer
¼ cup chopped fresh basil (for garnish)
½ cup sliced crimini mushrooms
½ cup asparagus chopped into 1 inch pieces
3 vegan italian sausages (or some other carnivorous sausage), chopped into ¼ inch pieces.
1. Preheat the oven to 375*
2. In a large sauté pan, melt butter and add minced garlic and shallots. Sauté for about 2 minutes. DO NOT BURN THE GARLIC!!!
3. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
4. Add the tomatoes, vodka, salt and pepper and cook on low, covered, for about 20 minutes.
5. While the sauce is cooking, toss the mushrooms and asparagus in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes.
6. After about 20 minutes, add the non-dairy creamer, sausage, roasted veggies, and basil (about 2 tbs, chopped).
7. Get a very large serving bowl and layer the bottom with some of the sauce, then add the pasta, then top with the rest of the sauce.
8. Serve in bowls and garnish with Parmesan and more chopped basil.