If you hadn't noticed, I got a little over zealous for the Grammys when it came to my hor dourves menu. My next item that I served was pizza pops. Ok, if you're having a birthday party, a dinner party, or anything where you want to get people involved then THIS is the item for you. It's super fun because everyone can customize what they want, or you can make one giant pizza and cut it into pieces and serve it on sticks! I'm super into serving things on sticks right now. They're so fun and there is NO clean up! These pizza pops are a perfect appetizer, or meal, for virtually any occasion! Oh, P.S. I made a vegan version for mommy and OH MY GOSH!!! It was even better than the "normal" one!!!
What you'll need:
Lollipop sticks (any craft store will have them)
1 large whole wheat pizza dough
1 cup mozzarella (or daiya) cheese
1/2 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced and chopped
1/2 cup chopped basil
1/2 cup marinara sauce (or any other type of pizza sauce that you like)
1/2 cup pesto sauce
*** these are just my favorite toppings, you can use anything you want***
1. Preheat your oven to 375*.
2. Grease a baking sheet with butter.
3. Flour a cutting board and your rolling pin and start rolling out the dough.
4. Spread the pesto all over the dough, followed by the marinara sauce.
5. Add the cheese, followed by the mushrooms, and finally the chopped basil.
7. Cover it with plastic wrap and let cool in the fridge for an hour or so.
8. After it's cooled, immediately cut it into 1/2 sliced and place on the greased baking sheet (on the vegan ones, I added a slice of heirloom tomatoes right on top!).
9. Bake for about 15-20 minutes. After they've cooled for a minute or so, but are still hot, stick a lollipop stick through and place on a platter (I dipped mine in the garlic aioli from the fried artichoke recipe and it was DIVINE!)
|these are the vegan ones with the heirloom tomatoes|